This pie started out as my coconut crumbles recipe and ended up being a Dairy Free, Gluten Free cheesecake! I picked some apples for free from the trail near where I live. The local farm shop were selling plums for a £1/kg as they are also in season.
I love fruit and one of the hardest things about changing my diet was giving up the daily mango and pineapple and other tropical fruits I loved so much! So when fruit comes into season locally I want to make the most of it and enjoy it. I have fermented berries and made sugar free preserves as well as making fermented apple sauce. So this time I wanted to make a pudding. I wanted to make the Paleo Mom’s recipe for clafoutis but need to work out a sub for green plantain (green banana four perhaps…) so that post will come another day.
Today’s post is about pie! This pie will work just as well with the coconut cream ‘cheese’. I just had some coconut butter that needed using use I would have left this off.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 120g of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 medium-large free range egg
- 1 TBS of unrefined coconut sugar (I used 1 TBS of maple syrup but could also use honey)
- 40grams of grass fed butter melted
for the Filling
- Seasonal fruit of choice. I used 3 apples (free from a tree and 300gms of plums (65p from a local farm shop’s tree)
- 1 TBS of maple syrup or honey. Adjust to suit sweetness of fruit
- 2 TBS of beef gelatin (I use this one)
for the dairy free cream cheese
- Coconut butter
- Hot water (amount depends how hard/thick the coconut butter is)
- 1-2 tsp of maple syrup (depends how sweet the fruit is)
- Preheat oven to 180DegC
- Combine pastry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Using your hands press the mixture into your pie tin. Start with the base then work up the sides.
- Place in oven for 10-15 mins. Keep an eye on it and remove just before the top lip of the pastry starts to burn. Allow to cool before removing from mould.
- Whilst pastry is in oven prepare the fruit and place into a saucepan with sweetener to stew with lid on. Once cooked add gelatin and blend until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temp and then transfer into the pastry. Place in fridge and leave until fruit is set.
- Blend coconut butter with hot water to make ‘cream topping’ and apply to pie or leave off and serve with coconut cream on the side.