So it’s Friday, can’t be bothered going out and fancy something from the old life….so time to make pizza!
Chris found a new recipe for us to try in primal cravings by Brandon and Karen Keatley. We have made pizza bases out of all the usuals, based around almond flour, coconut flour or cauliflower. We bought the pre made pale pizza dough too which was pretty good so I bought the ingredients and tried to replicate with some success. This recipe uses tapioca flour as the primary ingredient with potato flour as the secondary. I have used tapioca before but as a secondary flour. I adapted it slightly as we had no gelatin (it’s on order so will have some soon!).
- 1 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup of potato flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (original recipe called for gelatin)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix wet ingredients together in a jug.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Add wet to dry and mix with a fork until it starts sticking together.
- Get your hand in and kneed it until it all binds into a doughy ball.
- Roll it out on baking paper. It shouldn’t be too sticky and mine rolled out fine without use of extra flour
- Bake at 190DegC for about 15mins.
- Add your toppings. we used:
- pizza 1 – tomato paste, thin grass fed beefsteak cut into little strips, shitake mushroom, red onion, garlic, buffalo mozzarella, cheddar.
- pizza 2 – tomato paste, sausage, shitake mushroom, red onion, garlic, buffalo mozzarella, double gloucester, cheddar.
- Also essential you use a pizza tray if you have one. Or use baking paper on a grill type tray (not a solid tray).
- This moves like pizza (crispy edges but floppy in the middle), is doughy like pizza and best of all doesn’t taste of almonds, coconut or cauliflower!! Pretty impressed and will make it again.