I am not a huge fan of aubergine so I adapted this recipe to make the dish from courgette instead.
- 250gms of organic minced lamb
- One large organic courgette
- 3 organic carrots
- organic button mushroooms
- some organic lamb mixed herbs (I bought a packet of lamb herbs from the organic shop)
- 1 tub of Italian mascarpone (could use double cream or ricotta). Look for a quality grass fed or organic source if available.
- 2 organic medium eggs
- dash of milk/water (if using mascarpone cheese)
- Some grated parmesan cheese
- Organic tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato passata (or chopped tomatoes)
- Preheat oven and a 30cm round oven dish at 180DegC
- Slice the courgette into thin rounds of even thickness and put to one side
- Pan fry the chopped onion and carrots in some grass fed butter.
- Add the lamb and lamb mixed herbs and cook through. Add the tomato paste and passata and allow to simmer.
- In a mixing jug, add the mascarpone and eggs and beat until well mixed. Add a dash of milk to thin slightly (milk won’t be required if you use cream instead of mascarpone).
- Spoon a thin layer of the mince into the bottom of the oven dish. Add a layer of courgette and then pour/spoon a layer of the cream cheese. Then add the rest of the mince in a layer, another layer courgette. Try and overlap the courgettes so they form a good layer. Pour the rest of the cream cheese mix on top. Put in the oven for about 15-20mins or until it starts browning.
- Add the grated parmesan and grill or oven finish until lightly browned.
This made enough for four people and there was only two of us. So we had the leftovers for lunch the next day.