Ah bread, that lovely vehicle for butter, eggs, cheese, soup…. I do not miss sandwiches but I do like having a grain free bread on hand for when those runny yolks need mopping up….
I have tried many different recipes and I have posted some on here before including bread rolls and a seed bread which are great but they are not like bread…so the search has continued and I think I have finally found a recipe which works well enough to share!
Now a word of warning, unlike the other bread recipes I have posted, this bread is not low carbohydrate. It does contain some eggs and oil but it is essentially a high carb bread. It is therefore best eaten in moderation and eaten with high fat/protein foods (butter, pate, cheese, eggs etc). Having said that, it is grain free, a whole food (cassava is a tuber/root grown in Africa) and makes a great supplementary carbs for athletes, those with a labour intensive job/lifestyle and growing children.
You can buy Cassava flour in some supermarkets (look in the World Food section) or you can order online (Amazon stock a few options).
- 240g of Cassava flour
- 2 TBS psyllium husk (can be found in most health food stores, Grape Tree and online)
- 3 tsp baking powder OR sub for
- 2tsp Cream of tartar
- 1tsp baking soda
- pinch of pink salt
- 4 Free range eggs
- 2 TBS of light Olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 40ml water
- Pre-heat oven 150DegC Fan
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add all wet ingredients and mix well
- Add wet ingredients to dry and combine but do not over mix as you want to keep the air inside.
- Transfer mixture to a lined loaf tin and smooth over. It may be quite sticky/difficult to spread. Just bang the container and smooth over the top and it will be fine. Do not over press as it will turn out flat.
- Cook for about 35minutes. Turn out and allow to cool slightly.